Thursday, January 14, 2010

To Moms Everywhere

 

There were things as a girl I could never imagine ever getting used to. One was cleaning up after sick kids. I would see my mom be such a comfort to us when we had the stomach flu. Always there to hold the hair back out of our face, rub our backs, and dispose of the mess in the bucket. And I would think, “never, ever will I be able to clean up puke without throwing up. Never.”  Turns out motherhood changes you. Surprise, surprise, huh? Last night at Bible study Paige got sick. Jerem made it to the bathroom with her, but it still sprayed all over the toilet. It took me 15 minutes just to get it all cleaned up and I didn’t gag. Not even once. She threw up 3 more times between church and home and I was right there holding the bucket for her telling Anson (who was gagging) to stop looking at her and put his hands over his ears or something. Anything. I didn’t know if I could handle two puking at the same time.

After a very restless, sleepless night of Paige dry heaving in her sleep, moaning because her head hurt, legs hurt, nose hurt. Rubbing her back telling her to go back to sleep. Looking at the clock to see if time was even passing, morning finally did come.  Ava slept till 4 am before waking up to be fed, the first time since birth she’s done that. The Lord knows our limits.

Paige is tired, weak, but not throwing up today. And I am cautiously hoping she will be the only one that gets it. How foolish I know. I’m sure as soon as one child started throwing up in our house growing up mom would see the other 10 children that would soon be running for the toilets, moaning and yet I never once heard her complain or get upset when we were sick. Her and I have similar tactics to avoid getting the stomach flu when someone in the house has it. We eat all the time. I think I get a little nauseous psychologically when someone has the flu. So I munch and repeat, “I will not get sick, I will not get sick”. It works. Sometimes.

So here’s to all the mom’s out there that have been up all night with a sick child. Thanks to my mom for being such a good example. And thanks to the Lord for giving me the strength to get through it.

3 comments:

Katie said...

It is amazing isn't it, the grace and patience and non-gagging that we manage in times of crisis! The Lord knew what he was doing when he made mothers that is for sure!! :) And by the way, you are doing a great job at it if you made it home with one throwing up and another gagging!! :)

~ Tandis ~ said...

What a good little Ava for trying to help by waiting to eat until 4am. :)
My Mom said she never got sick (which is true, she rarely did) because she washed so many dishes = clean hands.

Sheila King said...

that is soo true!!!! I used to gag so bad from puke! I never thought I could either.. but seems that when you have to clean it up.. you get this crazy power to do it no matter what! yeah.. must be a mother instinct God gives us. Hope everyone is feeling well now! That is so funny about Anson.... great story though!